Monday, September 26, 2011

Rolo Cookies

Rolo-Over It's Time To Get This Party Started!!!

 You might think that I just stay home everyday and bake, but you would be wrong. It's every other day!! When I screw-up on something, which is more often than I would like to admit, I have to fix it. Most things can be fixed with sweet treats, and for sure with chocolate. I forgot a birthday on Sunday for the sweetest boy, and in our church you get to stand up front while all the children sing happy birthday to you. It's a big deal!!! So, I had to think of something that all kids love; chocolate, cookies, and candy came to mind. I came across this recipe on the Hostess With the Mostess blog, one of my favs. These Chocolate Caramel Rolo Cookies are ooozzzing with sweet goodness. I whipped them up, packaged them up super cute and delivered to the birthday boy. (I forgot to take a picture of the cute package.)  I managed to tuck a few away before my husband and kids could devour all of them. Good thing my dinner group loves sweet treats as much as me. I was thinking maybe Lindsay and Mike could enjoy them on the plane ride, if they last that long. Did they last that long, Lindsay?

 Chocolate Caramel Rolo Cookies Ingredients:
 2 1/2 cups flour
 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
 1 teaspoon baking soda
 1 cup sugar
 1 cup brown sugar
 1 cup butter, softened
 2 teaspoons vanilla
 2 eggs
 30-36 chocolate covered caramel candies (Rolo's work well)
 2 tablespoons sugar
 Directions:
 Preheat oven to 375` degrees
 In a large mixing bowl, add sugar, brown sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla. Mix together until well blended.
 Add flour, cocoa and baking soda and mix well.
 Refrigerate and chill dough for 30 minutes.
 Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place 1 rolo candy in the center of each dough ball.
 Form dough ball around the majority of the rolo.
 Roll each dough ball in sugar.
 Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes.
 Let cool on pan for 1 minute then take off and place on cooling rack.

I am also packaging up some of these cookies and taking them to a great kid who found out he cannot play football anymore because of his 3rd concussion. His mom was telling me he loves football and it is a passion of his. I talked to him on Sunday and he seemed to be handling it well, but I can only imagine some of the frustration he must be feeling. I am going to put this note with the cookies for him. It is long but worth the read:
 "I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man who had no feet." Author Unknown


 Appreciate the life that you have. Celebrate the skills and talent that are a part of you. Be grateful for your God-given gifts, your physical body, personality, intellect, and aptitudes. Far too many of us get caught up in playing the dead in games of "the grass is always greener" and "if only I could be like Mike." The fact of the matter is that while we are very busy distracting ourselves with all that we think we're unhappy with, with all that we think we lack, we are blindly missing how very rich we already are. Yes, the grass may be somewhat greener in someone else's front lawn. However, there are far more yards out there that don't have any grass at all. Our society typically sets us up to always look outside of ourselves for our happiness. The sad fact of life is that as long as you look outward for the light to light up your life, you'll remain in the dark. You may have physical handicaps and shortcomings as an athlete/person. You may suffer great hardships and disappointments in your life. Understand that these are there to make you a stronger person. These are there to hone your mental toughness and kindle your determination. Appreciate what you do have. Don't waste energy on what you think you're lacking. There are always those much worse off than yourself.
Words to ponder.
 Love all your sweet guts

No comments:

Post a Comment